Accessing the Sync Log
Help! I'm getting a Sync Error!
Resolving Sync Errors on iOS
Resolving Sync Errors on Android
Resolving Sync Errors on Windows
Tips for Downloading Projects
Force Refreshing My Project
Assuring Your App Version is Up To Date
Please read: The following steps will assist you in any Synchronization Errors experienced. In the event that you may have to discard items from your Sync Log, we recommend to either copy and paste markups to a Sample Project (to copy back after), or take screenshots of any affected sheets to save as a reference.
If you are copying and pasting Tasks, please note that the Task ID numbers will likely not be the same, and it will result in a new Task ID number from the last one used in that project. Be sure to refer to the link above, or chat in with us at www.plangrid.com if you have any immediate questions.
Accessing the Sync Log
Your mobile device's sync queue allows you to monitor the progress of uploads (items from the device syncing to the PlanGrid cloud), and downloads (project information being downloaded from the cloud to the device). If you are experiencing a stalled download or a sync error while uploading markups, you will need to know how to access the sync log on your device.
1. Open the mobile app to the main projects page.
2. On iOS: tap the cloud icon in the lower left corner. On Android: tap the menu button (3 vertical dots OR physical button, depending on model) and then choose "Sync status".
This is the synchronization queue which shows the status of individual sheet, document, and data downloads to your device, as well as the status of uploads from your device to the PlanGrid cloud. If you have made changes to the project on the device while offline, they will queue up here until an internet connection is restored, at which time they will sync to the PlanGrid cloud.
Important: If you have items in the sync log waiting to sync to the cloud, do not log out of the PlanGrid app or uninstall it until after those items have synced. Logging out of the PlanGrid app/uninstalling the app while items are waiting to sync will clear the sync log and result in lost markups.
Help! I'm Getting a Sync Error!
If your markups are stalled and not syncing with the website, you may have synchronization problems which are reported or visible in your device's sync queue. There are a few basic troubleshooting steps you can take for iOS and Android devices if you do not see an error showing up in your sync queue but those updates are not moving or showing up on the web.
First, check your PlanGrid app for updates (either in the App Store or Google Play store) and make sure that you are running the most up-to-date version of our app.
After you have updated, if you see items in your sync log that appear to be not moving or stuck but do not see an error message please try the following steps to begin troubleshooting:
1. Go into your device's settings and toggle your device into airplane mode for about 10 seconds then back out. This resets your network connection and will help push the device into gear.
2. Force quit your PlanGrid app (note: DO NOT log out of the PlanGrid app; you only want to quit the app on your device; logging out will wipe your updates and you will lose data. To force quit on iOS:double click the home button to bring up the fast app switcher (or slide your finger up from the bottom on models without a Home button) > navigate to the app screen you want to quit > swipe up on the app to flick it off the screen.To force quit on Android: open the Settings app > scroll down and tap on “application manager” > scroll down in the “downloaded” list and tap the name of the app > tap “force stop” to fully close out the app
3. Open up the sync log and you should see the items moving along; if you do not see them moving disconnect from the current network and connect to a new, different network then open the log again. If you still run into trouble, please reach out to email@example.com or use the live chat feature on our website to connect with a support agent for more help.
If you see a red error message in your sync log, follow the steps below for how to clear them on iOS and Android.
Note: Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you need to clear more than two items through this process. This should be a rare occurrence when using our service, and you should report any repeated or prolonged sync errors to PlanGrid Support. It is very important that you do not log out of the PlanGrid app or uninstall that app from your device at any time when you run into a syncing issue.
Resolving iOS Sync Errors
1. Follow the steps above to access your sync log on your iOS tablet or phone.
2. This is the synchronization queue which shows the status of an individual sheet, document, and data downloads to your device. Please click on 'Uploads', followed by the project name with the red exclamation mark.
3. Go to the very 1st item at the top of the list. This is likely the item that is causing the sync error. There should also be a blue and red button already displayed next to the annotation description.
Please tap on 'retry' a few times to see if it will sync through.
If there is no success in retrying, please tap 'discard' to remove the item.
4. Repeat with the next item down if syncing doesn't resume. Once the project has fully synced and the sync log is empty, follow the instructions below to perform a forced refresh. This will ensure that you continue to properly receive updates to your project.
Resolving Android Sync Errors
1. First, tap back until you reach the projects screen. Then, tap the android menu button, and select "Synchronization" from the menu.
2. Then, tap on "Uploading" and then tap on the item that has failed to upload. It will only be possible to tap items that show as "Failed". If there are items in the queue that do not show as failed, then that means they are pending and will upload once a connection is restored.
3. Finally, choose to "Discard" the failed markup.
4. Repeat with the next item down if syncing doesn't resume.
Resolving Windows Sync Errors
Upon receiving a Windows Sync Error, you will see a yellow banner at the top. This will include the details of the error, as well as a number of items that has unsuccessfully synced.
If you are experiencing this, we recommend that you take screenshots of any specific markups that you may need to recreate, prior to discarding.
Clicking "Discard Changes" will only remove the failed items, and will allow the rest to sync. Please chat in with us at www.plangrid.com or email at email@example.com if you have any immediate questions, before moving forward.
Tips for Downloading Projects
Below are some general guidelines to ensure successful project downloading. If you have any specific questions or run into any issues while downloading, feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. You can only download projects on wifi; cellular connections are not strong enough and will result in incomplete downloads.
2. You will get the best results on a strong wifi network. Sometimes office wifi can be slower than home wifi because there are more devices on the office network. If you notice that, try to do the majority of your project downloading on whichever network is the strongest and most consistent.
3. On iOS: Downloading will stop if the tablet goes to sleep. If your screen goes black, your tablet has gone to sleep. To prevent that, turn "OFF" Auto-Lock. To do so, go to Settings > General > Auto Lock > Never.
4. On Android: Downloading will continue while the tablet is asleep provided the PlanGrid icon shows in your task bar. If you do not see the icon in your task bar, do not exit the app or sleep the tablet until the icon is present.
5. On Windows, you have an option to "Right Click" the project name and hit "Sync and Open" if you need to refresh the project from that screen. This is also how you will remove the project from your device or open it again, if need be.
For more information about downloading projects to your mobile device, go here.
Force Refreshing a Project on My Tablet
A forced refresh on your tablet can solve many problems, from not seeing updates to the project, to downloading new documents to your tablet. For more information on updating and refreshing your project, go here.
1. On iOS, click the gear icon on the bar.
2. Tap "Force Refresh" to force a refresh of all data on the project.
For Android, tap and hold on the project name, then remove the project from the device and then re-download it.
For Windows, 'Right Click' the project name and click on "Sync and Open"
Updating the PlanGrid App
To see what version of PlanGrid you're on now:
1. Go to your main Projects page (where all projects associated with your account are listed), and tap the menu button in the upper right corner.
iOS: This looks like a person at the top right.
Android: This looks like 3 vertical dots or may be a physical menu button along the bottom. Tap "Account information". The version number is at the bottom of that page.
Windows: click the "Gear" icon on the bottom left, followed by the "About" link at the top.
To get the latest version of PlanGrid:
1. Go to your app store.
2. Tap the button to update
3. If you don't see an update, look for PlanGrid under "Search".
1. Go to the Play store.
2. Click "Play Store" or the three lines in the search in the upper left corner, then click "My Apps".
3. Next, choose PlanGrid from the list of Installed Apps.
4. Choose "Update".
In the Windows App, you will be notified by a banner at the top to update your app, if there is an update available.