What is ASL?
With Automatic Submittal Log (ASL), you can create a submittal log from a spec book at the start of a project. Whether your spec book is 100 pages or 1,000, ASL allows you to create a downloadable spreadsheet with all of your project’s submittal register items in just minutes.
ASL is an add-on feature to PlanGrid that is separate from Submittals. To enable the feature, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
How does ASL work?
To use ASL, you simply upload your spec book in PDF format. ASL will automatically generate a submittal log. If you have the Submittals feature enabled, your register items will be automatically added to your dashboard. All of your register items will be automatically populated and ready to send to submitters.
Using the ASL tool to generate a submittals log
To begin, click on the “Submittals" icon in PlanGrid. If you have ASL but not Submittals enabled, you’ll see an option to Get Started.
If you have both ASL and Submittals enabled, you have the option to upload your spec book now or skip the step for later. You can always upload your spec book later by using the “Upload spec book” button in the Settings page for Submittals.
- Select either “Getting Started” or “Upload” depending on which features you have enabled.
- Choose your options for uploading
- Click “Upload Specs”
- Drag your PDF into the box or select it from your computer
- Click “Process Specs”
- Once your specs have been processed, you can download your new submittals log by clicking “Download processed spec” or upload your specs again
If you have the Submittals tool enabled, your register items will be automatically added to your dashboard. Click “View submittals in PlanGrid” to be taken there
To ensure that we extract the information from your spec book correctly, please make sure that it meets the following requirements:
- It must conform to AIA standards
- It must use Masterformat section numbering
- It must be a vector PDF (not a scanned version)
If you have any trouble with your specs, please send them to email@example.com for assistance.