With PlanGrid's Template Builder, you're able to create your own customized template that you can assign to anyone on your project team. The Template Builder features a pre-formatted template that you can edit to meet your project's specific needs. Or you can build a new template from scratch. Either way, you have full control over the fields and questions on your template.
To begin, open Field Reports and select the “Template” tab. Then click “Add New” and select “Create a new template.” Finally, select “PlanGrid Custom Template” and click “Next.”
Here you can select whether to begin with one of PlanGrid’s existing templates or build one completely from scratch. Pick an option and click “Next” to begin customizing your template.
Upon choosing "Build a New Form," you will have the following options to create from:
Now it’s time to customize your template. To start, you’ll need to give your template a title and select a template type. The template type will allow you to easily filter your reports later on so you can find the ones you’re looking for.
The Form Builder features a number of different sections with specific features. You can add new sections using the toolbar on the right-hand side of the screen.
Section: This is a fully customizable section of the template. It lets you ask a question and then choose how you’d like your team to answer. You’ll specify the title, question, and response type.
You can put up to 20 Sections and Questions per Template. Within those questions, there can be up to 10 answer options per question.
If you would like the question to be a "Required Question," there will be an option below the box.
There are seven response types you can choose from:
- Preconfigured responses: this allows you to choose between four sets of preconfigured answers. Your choices are “Yes / No / NA,” “True / False / NA,” “Plus / Minus / NA,” or “Pass / Fail / NA.” You need to pick one set, which will allow your assignee to pick one of the three options.
- Text response: this lets someone enter whatever text they like.
- Number response: this lets someone enter a number.
- Single-select response: this lets someone choose a single answer from a list. You can specify each item in the list and add as many choices as you need.
- Dropdown Response: this lets someone select one answer only from a list of choices
- Multi-select response: this lets someone choose their answers from a list, and they can select more than one. You can specify each item in the list and add as many choices as you need.
- Date: this lets someone choose a date as their answer
If you’d like to include more than one question in a section, simply click the add question button on the toolbar.
You also have the option to "Copy" a question directly by clicking the "Copy" icon shown below the question.
Equipment: This allows your team to track equipment used. The person filling out the report will be able to add the equipment type, quantity, hours used, and any comments.
Materials: This allows your team to track material used. The person filling out the report will be able to add the material type, quantity, unit, and any comments.
Notes: This allows your team to add any additional details in free-text format.
Weather: This will add a row of weather information to each report created using your template. It will include weather details from 7am, 12pm, and 4pm on the day the report is filled out.
Work Log: This allows your team to keep track of its crew and hours. The person filling out the report will be able to add the crew name or type, total number of workers, total hours worked, and a description of the work performed.
To Adjust the order of any sections you've already made, click the '3 dot' button to the right of the row.
Once you’ve fully customized your template, click the “Save” button. Now you’ll be able to assign people to fill out and review the form. You can also choose whether to send assignees a daily email reminder. When you’re ready to create the template, simply click “Create.”
If you need to, you can edit a custom template after it’s been created. Select the template you want to edit from your list of templates and then click “Modify Template.”
This will bring you back to the template builder, where you can edit any field and add or delete sections of the template.